Fortnight in Review: 8 - 19 April
* The first meeting of the Tourism Action Group was held on the 11th April. The group is made up of representatives from across the tourism sector and Iwi in our region. Chaired by Mayor Viv Napier, the group this week reviewed the actions in the WEDS document and were briefed on the development of the Accommodation Plan being led by Destination Wairarapa and the progress on funding applications for the 5 Towns Trail and Dark Skies. Further discussion was held on the potential for a statistical dashboard for the region, and some food focused events.
Current members are:
Viv Napier - Mayor of South Wairarapa (Chair)
Anna Nielson - Toast Martinborough
David Hancock - Destination Wairarapa
David Perks - WREDA
Emily Court - Pukaha Mt Bruce
Jill Harrison - Solway
Lee Mauger - Dark Skies Society
Yvette Grace - Rangitane
Adam Blackwell - Blackwell and Sons
Jenna Snelgrove – Transit
Rosie Carter – Paua World
Stuart Edwards - Green Jersey Cycle Tours
Lisa Cornelisson, Holiday Park
Paul Broughton, C'est Cheese
* The first meeting of the Food Action Group was held on 15th April. The group is made up of representatives from across the food and wine sector, and Iwi in our region, and includes the original working group that developed the Food Story. Chaired by Mayor John Booth, the group will meet regularly to surface complimentary projects that may be happening across the Wairarapa so that they can be linked up, and will also work on funding applications and partnerships to ensure the actions in the WEDS document can be achieved. There was wholehearted support for the idea to develop a Food Hub in the Wairarapa, for which a business case is being prepared during April and discussion was also had on a communications strategy that ensures our story is told well, and the potential for a Wairarapa Farmers Market.
Current members are:
John Booth, Mayor, Carterton
Geoff Copps, WREDA
David Hancock, Destination Wairarapa
Pip Goodwin, Palliser Estate
Pete Monk, Ata Rangi
Craig Leaf-Right, Leafyridgeolives
Jaimee Burns, JRS Orchards
Anna Nielson, Toast Martinborough
Robert Steele, BakerAg
Catherine Rossiter-Stead, Business Wairarapa
Darrin Apanui, Rangitane (GM Tū Mai Rā Investments LP)
Mark Guscott, Glen Eden Farm
Robin Potangaroa, Ngati Kahungunu
Michael Jamieson, Henergy Eggs
Lucy Griffiths, Innov8 Aotearoa
Bob Francis, Wairarapa Food Story
* The Steering Group met on Friday 11th to review projects underway contributing to the actions outlined in the Economic Development Strategy. It was agreed to progress with a business case for the creation of a Wairarapa Food Hub (an idea from the Food Action Group), to present an application to the Provincial Growth Fund for an incubator service which will increase business capability in the region and to progress an Accommodation Plan for the region, focusing on tourist accommodation
* The Governance Group submitted a letter of support for the Nga Pumanawa Tupuna project application to the He Poutama Rangatahi Fund, part of the Provincial Growth Fund. The project is a joint venture between REAP, YETE and the 3 Wairarapa Councils. Supporting YETE in obtaining long term funding for increased capabilities was identified as an immediate action in the Knowledge and Skills sector in our Strategy – which also documented our concern as a region regarding the high number of young people who are either unemployed and not in education or training. This project will be vital to increasing successful transitions from school, to training and employment by rangatahi Maori and will also provide a tangible intervention addressing the concern by our businesses here that young people are not developing employability skills needed to succeed.
Programme Management team: Regional Engagement activities:
*Meeting with Director of REAP re ways to work together
*New Project Co-ordinator hired - Bridget Gardiner who brings 20 years of project, managerial, strategic and analytical experience to the team and will be leading work to develop funding applications and co-ordinate activities under the Strategy and Plan.
*Support to Star Field Ltd to prepare a funding application for expansion of their operations in Martinborough, and meeting with their software team regarding a product for inclusion in Star Field.
* Meeting with Philip Percy, Perception Planning re ideas for the next Knowledge Intensive Action group around capability building for businesses, schools, entrepreneurs and councils.
* Meeting with local Eco Farm leaders to advice on funding options for a potential Centre of Excellence in Agri-Ecology in the Wairarapa